Jake Raburn is a native of Hillsborough County. Jake was born in Tampa and raised in Plant City. A product of the public education system, he graduated from Plant City High School before attending the University of Florida in Gainesville. After four years at the University of Florida, Jake obtained a bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Communication with minors in Food & Resource Economics and Agricultural Law.
While in college Jake worked for the Florida FFA Association (formerly Future Farmers of America), the University of Florida Athletic Association and the National FFA organization. His education also gave him the opportunity to learn about agricultural policy and production in foreign countries by visiting Egypt to study agriculture in the Middle East. As a student at UF, Jake was a member of the Alpha Gamma Rho fraternity, a member of Florida Blue Key, a Student Government leader and a J. Wayne Reitz Scholar. He was recognized for his leadership by being inducted into the University of Florida’s Hall of Fame as an undergraduate.
After graduation, Jake went to work for the Florida Department of Citrus. As a marketing specialist with the state agency, he learned the ins and outs of the Citrus Industry. After two years there, Jake had the opportunity to go to work for Hinton Farms Produce, Inc. Hinton Farms, his wife’s family farming operation, is a producer, packer, cooler & shipper of strawberries, blueberries and other fruits and vegetables grown right here in District 57. Jake works in sales, serves as Director of Marketing, and previously served as the Director of Food Safety for the company.
In the community, Jake serves on the Board of Directors with the Hillsborough County Farm Bureau, served on the Florida Farm Bureau Young Farmer & Rancher Leadership Committee, serves on the marketing committee of the Florida Strawberry Growers Association, and served as a Director on the University of Florida College of Agricultural and Life Sciences Alumni Board. Jake is also a member of the Plant City, Brandon, Riverview, Sun City Center, Valrico/Fishhawk and Tampa Chambers of Commerce and has been a member of Plant City’s First Baptist Church since 1995. Supporting local charities and healthy living, Jake has also participated in numerous road races and triathlons such as Richard’s Run for Life, Tampa Police Memorial Run and Gasparilla Half-Marathon. In October 2011, he completed his first Ironman 70.3 triathlon.
Jake’s family is rooted here in Hillsborough County. Numerous members of Jake’s family are educators and administrators in the Hillsborough County School District, including his parents – Buddy and Susan Raburn. Growing up surrounded by educators, Jake realizes how critical it is to support our local schools and empower students, who are our community’s future leaders. He also has a deep respect for law enforcement, as his brother is a Sergeant with the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office. Jake has been married to Melissa Hinton Raburn of Riverview since May of 2008. Melissa, a former teacher and coordinator of the Banner Center for Agriscience, is now a small business owner and stay-at-home mother to their three sons, Jackson, Mason & Clayton.
- 2015 Americans for Prosperity Florida Champion of Economic Freedom (Grade: A+)
- 2015 Florida Chamber of Commerce Grade: A
- 2015 Florida Farm Bureau Champion for Agriculture
- 2015 Florida Forestry Association Legislator of the Year
- 2015 Foundation for Florida’s Future Grade: A
- 2014 Americans for Prosperity Florida Champion of Economic Freedom (Grade: A+)
- 2014 Associated Industries of Florida 100% Club
- 2014 Florida Farm Bureau Legislator of the Year
- 2014 Florida Farm Bureau Champion for Agriculture
- 2014 Florida Fruit & Vegetable Association Legislator of the Year
- 2014 Florida Chamber of Commerce Honor Roll (Grade: A)
- 2014 Foundation for Florida’s Future Grade: A+
- 2013 Americans for Prosperity Florida Champion of Economic Freedom (Grade: A+)
- 2013 Associated Industries of Florida Champion for Business (Grade: A)
- 2013 Florida Chamber of Commerce Distinguished Advocate (Grade: A)
- 2013 Florida Farm Bureau Champion for Agriculture
- 2013 Foundation for Florida’s Future Grade: A